Friday 1 April 2011

It's Friday, Friday, gotta blog about Rebecca Black on Friday...

Yeah, this 13 year old chick is EVERYWHERE. It's crazy. As of today, her hit YouTube video "Friday" has 72, 982, 992 views. For comparison, this awesome unpopular strikethrough's are fun blog you're reading right now has...372 views. So yeah, she's winning this online popularity contest. In the video she tackles huge questions relevant to "tweens" today, questions like: "Which seat is the best to sit in when riding in a car?", "Which day comes after Friday?", "Which day comes before Sunday?", etc. (Yes. For real.)

The most interesting part about Rebecca Black's new found popularity is that she's popular because people HATE her. Let me explain. YouTube allows people to give their opinion in a short and concise way, "like" and "dislike".



Clicking this is the equivalent of saying "OH EM GEE LIKE REBECCA BLACK IS MY FAVORITE I LOVE THIS SONG SO MUCH WHY DOESN'T JUSTIN BIEBER LOVE ME WAHHHHH"


          
When someone clicks this, they're saying "YOU SUCK I HATE YOU I LIKE METAL AND HIP HOP AND COOL MUSIC THAT MAKES ME LOOK COOL WHY DOESN'T JUSTIN BIEBER LOVE ME WAHHHHH"

These are rough translations, but I'm pretty sure I've captured the general idea. Now here are the stats on Rebecca Black's video. She currently has 172,497 "likes". That seem's like alot... until you compare it to 1,402, 413 "dislikes". In summary, people don't like her.



Yes, my "Paint" skills are dramatically improving! Thanks for noticing! But seriously, her song is ridiculous, and her voice sounds like a robotic squirrel with throat cancer choking on another robotic squirrel with throat cancer. (Yes, I have heard what that sounds like. Don't question me.)

As a musician, there's a part of me that gets angry seeing someone with so little musical talent getting so popular and making a living doing what I, a "real" musician, "should" be doing. I can carry a tune, I can play instruments. WHY NOT ME. But there's another part of me, the hopelessly upbeat, optimistic, and positive side, that has to applaud her. This girl is 13 and we're mad that she isn't the next Whitney Houston. No one is trying to tell us Rebecca Black is the future of music. No one has even said she's talented. She's just a 13 year old girl doing what 13 year old girls do, and 13 year olds love it. She's probably having the time of her life right now and not reading a single negative comment that losers with no life write on her video. GOOD FOR HER. In short, don't hate, appreciate. But now, I must get on with my Friday...Friday...gotta get down on Friday... WE WE WE WE SO EXCITED!!!! WHY DOESN'T JUSTIN BIEBER LOVE ME WAHHHHH




<----ME
















<----- The Biebs, not caring that I'm so upset. Jerk.

No comments:

Post a Comment