Thursday 23 June 2011

I Wish I Could Quit You Part II: POKEMON


Oh sweet sweet Pokemon, how I love you. I never watched the show because it was usually over before I got home from school (carpooling was a rough life), but I had a ton of the trading cars and could name all 150. Yeah, I was awesome and you should be jealous of my coolness. But one fateful Christmas morn' in middle school, I received a Game Boy Pocket and... POKEMON BLUE! My older brother got Pokemon Red the same morn' ('morn is way more epic than 'morning' so I'm sticking with it), so the rivalry was on. I carried my Game Boy EVERYWHERE. I was constantly training and battling my Pokemon so I could keep pace with my older brother. It was a great time in my life. Eventually I beat the game and laid it to rest, and soon after I made a critical mistake of leaving my book of Pokemon cards out on my trampoline while it rained, destroying both my Pokemon cards and my desire to be the greatest Pokemon trainer of all time. 

FAST FORWARD to June 19th, 2011. The talk of different apps for phones comes up and I think "I wonder if I can find the original Pokemon game for my Blackberry?". Here's a quick list of the events that trasnpired:

1. Googled "Pokemon Blue for Blackberry"
2. Found a sketchy website to download it
3. Downloaded it
4. Tried it out
5. Confirmed that it was the real deal
6. Danced around like a fairy and sang sweet, sweet praises to the Pokemon gods.

So now I have Pokemon Blue on my phone. I'll be the first to admit that some things that were awesome when I was a kid truly suck now that I'm an adult. For example, I watched an episode of Salute Your Shorts and it wasn't even slightly awesome. Pokemon, though, is still SO FREAKIN AWESOME. I'm again emotionally attached to my Pokemon and my thumb has actually cramped randomly during my day from playing it on my tiny little Blackberry buttons. It's almost sad... ok it's definitely sad. But I love it. I'm not investing nearly as much time as I did when I got the game in middle school, but it's nice to catch some Pokemon while I'm in bed trying to fall asleep. Basically, I'm living the dream.

If anyone knows me personally, I'm a child at heart. I love having fun and embracing my inner child whenever possible. In the past 6 months I've acquired a Slip and Slide, a Nerf gun (thanks mom) and a Wiffle bat. Although I'm 25 and have been back in college pursuing a degree in Accounting for 2 years now, I still know how to find joy in the little things, and that's something about myself I hope I have until the day I leave this Earth. So while you're all sweating the small stuff, I'll be happily trying to become "Adult Dean" while making sure "Kid Dean" is still alive and kicking. Maybe this blog should be called "I DON'T wish I could quit you" :)




No comments:

Post a Comment